Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree....Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree. Oh Christmas Tr...


I find myself in the evenings just sitting and staring at our Christmas tree. It's so beautiful. I look at it from top to bottom and notice the gaps where I don't have an ornament, look at my favorites, and get mesmerized by the light patterns. We used to have blinking lights, but that drove me crazy because I kept trying to follow the blinks and anticipate which sections would blink next. Is that an OCD thing? What can I say...I'm weird! This year Brad and I went with all white lights on our tree. I think it's the best one we ever had.
We have a tradition with the ornaments too. Every year we have to get a Charlie Brown ornament that has the year on it. We have been doing this since we were married in 1991. The only year we don't have is '97. I don't know what happened then. Maybe we were too poor to get one? At any rate, those ornaments are our favs and I think if there was ever a fire in our house, I would climb up in the attic, dig around in the Christmas boxes, and save those ornaments!
A funny story:
When I was little, every year my family would get a white flocked tree and decorate with gold ornaments and white lights. It was so pretty although white flocking would always end up everywhere and we would constantly be having to clean it up. One year, I decided to help out taking down the decorations and trim the tree. I thought that really meant to 'trim' the tree. So I got a hacksaw and went to work. Flocking was everywhere and the tree was cut up pretty bad. Really funny. Plus I thought that if you put the lights on first, you probably take them off first. So, tree branches were everywhere in the living room. The lights were hanging out in spots around the cut up tree and tangled up with the ornaments. I didn't realize what a mess I had made until my mom came in and was completely shocked at the carnage I had inflicted on the tree....poor tree.

14 comments:

patti said...

oh...i love sitting by my tree too. Isn't it just the best.

We love to lay on the floor and stare up at the tree...don't you just love this season.

Gloria Furman said...

I can't do blinking lights for that one reason.

It just might be an OCD thing. Glad to know I am not alone. Gotta go count pencils now.

Brad and Tammy said...

You mean I'm not weird after all? I thought I was special, or unique, or something... ;O)

patti said...

Ok...what is this quote...someone answer...I don't know it.

steve said...

I think you're a little weird. ;) But, aren't we all? I would only put blinking lights on the outside of our house. Tam, I can just see you as a little girl, butchering your Christmas tree. ;)

Brad and Tammy said...

Patti
Think cartoon...green dude.... Dahoo Doreys, Dahoo Doreys, Welcome Christmas come this way....

The McKays said...

another cookie for me!! "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!!"

Brad and Tammy said...

Suz, you rock!
Stay tuned for another. Make it four cookies!

Mom said...

Shocked is rather an understatement! I walked in the room and it almost took my breath away. But she was really only trying to be my "Little Helper." I should have known not to leave Tammy alone for any length of time. She would either morph into some movie character (Olive Oil was her favorite) or decide to clean the whole house starting with the ceilings. It was always an adventure with Tam.

Mom said...

I know, I am standing in the store wiping away tears.

The McKays said...

Tam, I'm at a loss on this newest quote...maybe from "Blades of Glory?" or is it a Christmas flick? Too bad; my score now will be: 4-1

Brad and Tammy said...

I am so disappointed in you Suz. It is "While You Were Sleeping". Shame...such a shame

Chris said...

WOW - you guys scare me just a little....

W, M & Z said...

True story!? You were an industrious little child! :) Too funny!

Your blog is a fun read, Tammy. Blog more! (I'm a fine one to say that, I know.)